Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Meteor Outburst

I woke up from surgery to the sound of a nurse saying, "Angie, it's all over. We're done. Everything went great."

Immediately, I began to cry.  "Oh no!" she said. "What's the matter? Are you in pain?"

"No, I'm not in pain."  I said. "It's just that I came here a fully intact human, and now a part of me is missing."

She told me I was making her sad.

The drugs were weird. I was completely coherent for much of the day, and even had a conversation about biodiversity with a visitor. But then many hours after my last dose of what I think was codeine, everything got funky. If I closed my eyes, the last thing I had seen would become a melted Dali painting.  Or, I'd see streaks of light that were spaced along a grid, as if all of my rods and cones were lit up. And then, I saw the Perseid meteors through the ceiling.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Angie, this is Larry the distant relation in AZ. I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I had dental surgery for an implant and I was coherent to everyone who saw me but for the life of me I can't remember a thing that went on the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm glad your not one of the creepy Larrys.

      I think some of those drugs are meant to impact your memory but the timing is a little odd.

      Delete