Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Doctor Will See You Now

Or, will he?

I have a surgery date set for August, but it might need to be changed.  I called the endocrinologist's office, and it turns out Dr. Lehil is leaving town to be replaced by Dr. Oertel, but neither of them are seeing patients in August.  So, I'm either going to have to postpone the surgery or find an endocrinologist at KU Med Center.

I called KU Med Center to set that up, but they say they won't make appointments without a referral.  Now I wait for the referral to go through, and if it does, then I will be able to ask them if they have availability in August.  If they don't, I'm back to square one.

The surgeon's office, oddly enough, told me that the two local doctors wouldn't be around, but did not automatically instruct me to make any endocrinology appointments or offer to do so for me.

But I'm sure as heck not going to have my thyroid removed and then leave my body chemistry hanging until I can get medication.

For those who have asked when I'm having surgery, no announcement of an exact surgery date is coming until I get this straightened out.

3 comments:

  1. I believe the surgeon can make the referral. And if you are having the radioactive treatment you might not be on any replacement therapy until after that is completed. Not sure who would be in charge of the radioactive treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those doctors are scheduling consultations a month or two out. I've got a referral now but I need to call to make the appointment. I guess I was hoping for some collaboration.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete