Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Dropping the C bomb

Let the lesson be learned that Verizon won't care that you've got cancer.  Only read this if you love a good story about getting screwed by the phone company, again.

June 1, 2016

Dear Mr. McAdam, CEO of Verizon:

I live in Lawrence, Kansas and a few days ago I went into the Verizon store to see if I could add two cell phones for my kids to my current plan. I was needing to consult with my husband before making the purchase, but he was out of town until Monday the 30th. The cost of the plan came up to a little less than $140 per month for all three phones, with a state of KS employee discount and tax included. Great! This is do-able…but I had been told at that time that this promotional deal, in which I would get a gift card for one free iPhone 6s ended on May 31st, which happened to be the same day I received a phone call from my doctor saying that I have a papillary carcinoma on my thyroid. Needless to say I did not spend any part of my day in the Verizon store, but instead I was processing that information and researching the possibilities. It’s highly curable, thank goodness. My spirits have lifted, I’m feeling happy to be alive, and I am back in the swing of things today.I visited the store today and the salesmen told me that since the $650 gift card was a nationwide promotion, they could not help me out by extending the offer one more day. I had asked to speak to the manager, and they just shook their heads and said they wouldn’t be able to help me. Well, I thought… Maybe the CEO could help? I sure hope you can. My kids were promised the phones for their good grades last year, and I missed the deal by one day.Now honestly, my daughters do not need the iPhone 6s. I’m perfectly happy with my 5s, and they don’t really need to up-stage me with their phones. But now that I’ve missed my opportunity, even the lowest-end HTC phones are going to cost me around the same price and likely more than the two 6s phones would have.I know you don’t normally have time to appease people who want promotional deals. I’m really just hoping you’ll take a bit of time to consider my request to extend the offer, or to at least help me find two iPhones for my kids that are within my budget.

Most Sincerely,


Angie Babbit

Mr McAdam did not reply, but maybe that is because he doesn't publish his email, and I sent this into the ether. But, I also emailed it the director of marketing, Diego Scotti, whose staff member, Edvanna, called me saying (I paraphrase) that her hands were tied but she could offer me $50 for each new phone I purchase.
June 2, 2016

Dear Angela Babbit,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of Diego Scotti. We are committed to providing you with a stellar customer experience everyday. We value and appreciate your feedback when we may fall short of that commitment.
I am glad that we were able to resolve your concerns by offering a credit to your account for $50 for each of the two lines added to your account.


Edvanna F.


I don't know why she couldn't just give me a $650 credit, but whatever. After purchasing two refurbished iPhone 5s, this is a summary of my experience with Verizon, which I emailed to Edvanna.
July 2, 2016

Dear Edvanna,

Thank you for the credit toward two phones. I wish that I had been able to actually purchase new phones, but I decided to get certified pre-owned phones because new phones are not affordable. One of them has been working okay, with a few minor issues, like Verizon Family Base doesn't recognize it at all. No one has resolved that issue for me. The other phone arrived with a crack in the lens, so I returned it and received a replacement. The replacement arrived with a defective microphone, so no one could hear me if I spoke on anything but speaker phone. The third phone, which I've had since Monday stopped working spontaneously today and can't be restored in iTunes. According to tech support, my 14-day return window has expired, even though I haven't yet had a fully functioning phone.
And, each time I've asked for the phones to be delivered to my work address, they are delivered to my home address instead. No one is there to receive them and I have to track them down, so of course my 14 day window has expired.
I mentioned in my first email that I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and as you can imagine I'd like to not have to deal with this at all. I could use a break here. I'm waiting for the fourth phone to arrive over the holiday weekend, but the one I currently have will be dead for the duration, because it is non-responsive.
If there is anything you can do to help me out, I would appreciate it. The experience has been a multitude of disappointments.

Sincerely, 

Angie Babbit 


Edvanna replied:

RE:Re: Re: Re: Case Closure Notification - CASE(1916059)

Verizon Wireless Executive Relations

8:33 AM (8 hours ago)
July 5, 2016
to me

Hello Angie,

I am very sorry to hear about the trouble that you have been having with the 5S purchased for you line. After you have received your replacement let me know how that device operates for you. If you are continuing to have trouble, let me know and I will look into seeing what options are available to getting you a better working device.

Best Regards,

Edvanna F.

Executive Relations

No comments:

Post a Comment